Friday, January 11, 2013

#2: Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck and Harriet Parke

Rob suggested that I read Agenda 21 , claiming that the story could very well be the prequel to The Hunger Games.  That one comment intrigued me enough to read the book, which was a very quick read, but a very compelling read.  Much like The Hunger Games, Agenda 21 appeals to both grown-ups and teenagers.  Rob read it first, then I read it, and now Abigail is  reading it.  She thinks the story is a good one, although very strange and bothersome.  Her review is spot on.

When you open the book,  you get to step inside a government run community.  No one is poor, no one is rich, everyone dresses the same, every one eats the same foods.  "Citizens" do not marry, they are "paired." They pledge allegiance to the Republic and to the Earth.  They spend their entire day, every day, walking to create power.  Their every move is monitored.  There is no paper, and, hence, no books (just kill me now). And, while people like my mother believe that there is no way that this could really ever happen, wasn't she surprised, as was I, to learn that Agenda 21 is a real UN document.  

Now, the authors admit that this book is a work of fiction and that they have taken the idea of governmental control to an extreme.  But, I think the warning that is reiterated time and time again in the book is what we all need to truly think about: that the laws were changed little by little and they were so little that no one really noticed what was going on until it was too late. Now, I could completely get on my political soap box about the ridiculous laws over soda size in NY and the recent study surrounding the best music for us to listen to while we drive (which one can only imagine will soon be the ONLY music can listen to while driving), but I will spare you the lecture.  Instead, I challenge you to read this book, reflect upon our freedoms as American citizens, and think about how much governmental control you really want in your life.  And, I encourage you to read the afterward of the book, where the real Agenda 21 is explored and quoted.  Then, you can make your own decisions.  

Personally, I would take the road that Emmeline traveled, right past the gatekeeprs, through the Compound, past the broken bus-box, under the hole in the fence, and straight toward freedom.   No matter the risk, no matter the fear, freedom is worth it all.

Decide for yourself.

Happy reading, 
:) Dodie

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever been more proud to be your husband. I'll make a gun-toting right-wing nut out of you yet. I couldn't agree more with your comments which is why I'm adding to my gun collection. (Now one and counting.)

    ReplyDelete