Tuesday, January 3, 2017

#45: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

One day at lunch a dear friend raved about how much she loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  She said it was such a good book that it made her want to write a term paper on the abundant symbolism found in the novel.  I have never heard a grown adult say that about a book before.  Ever.  Needless to say I left lunch, went to Barnes and Noble, bought the book, and started reading as soon as I got home.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is about the Nolan family who lived in Williamsburg, NY (in the slums of Brooklyn) from 1902-1919.  Francie, I would say, is the main character, or the main subject of the book (and I would also hazard a guess that she is the metaphorical tree who grew in Brooklyn, although there is a real tree in Brooklyn, too) and through her we are told the story of her family. It is both a heart wrenching and inspiring story that will stay with you long after you have turned the last page and closed the book.  It will make you love and appreciate your family in a way you never thought you could.  It will make you appreciate every job you've ever had, every piece of clothing in your closet, and all of the luxuries we take for granted on a daily basis.  And most of all it will make you appreciate the education that you have in a way that you may never have before.  This book will humble you, I feel certain.  And in 2017, I suspect we could all use a little humbling.

Until reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, my favorite book of all time was Wuthering Heights.  After reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, my NEW favorite book is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  I just adore this story.  Adore.

Add this one to your list, but be warned I am not loaning this one out.  This one stays on my shelf.  Because I might one day be missing Francie and want to open the book and read about her and her family for a little while.

Happy reading!
-Dodie

No comments:

Post a Comment