Monday, June 13, 2016

#18: Paperboy by Vince Vawter

In my effort to read more award winning books for children, I picked up Paperboy solely because  it was a Newberry Honor book.  It is now book #3 on my all-time favorite book list.  I loved this book and dare you not to love it too.

Paperboy is the story of one summer in the life of Little Man, the summer he takes over the paper route of his friend Rat for one month.  Little Man is actually typing the story that we read because he stutters and he can actually get words out more clearly when he types them. English teachers everywhere BEWARE! Little Man doesn't ever use commas in his writing because commas mean pauses and he pauses enough when he's trying to talk (whether he wants to or not, he says).  So, in his writing he leaves them out and types "and" and lots of them!  The story begins with Little Man telling us that he's typing the story of the stabbing because he can't tell us without stuttering.  A stabbing?  Yes, we are immediately hooked and want to know who was stabbed and why.  But Little Man has to give us some background information first and set the stage for the stabbing (which does't actually happen for a while) and so the story begins.

As you could imagine, a paper route for a boy who doesn't like to talk due to a stuttering problem seems like an ideal job.  But since this story is set in 1959 (and is the mostly true story of the author's own life), Little Man must collect for the paper every Friday.  As a result, he has to figure out a way to communicate with the people from whom he must collect money and he uses a lot of the tricks that his speech therapist is teaching him in order to be a successful collector.  During his collection, he meets some really interesting characters: Mrs. Worthington, Mr. Spiro, and a boy who watches TV.  Mrs. Worthington seems to be having a rough go of life and Little Man begins to feel as though he needs to watch out for and protect her.  Mr. Spiro is a truly wonderful man who sees beyond Little Man's stuttering and teaches him to believe in himself.  I found myself looking forward to the sections in the book about Little Man's Friday night collections so I could read the conversations between Mr. Spiro and Little Man.  The boy who watches TV has an interesting story and I will leave those details to you to find out on your own.  I don't want to spoil a cool story.  While I loved Little Man, my favorite character was Mr. Spiro, who reminded me with this words and actions how influential one person can be in the overall life of a child.

While Paperboy hooks us with the story of a stabbing (and the character of Ara T) and details some black-white racial issues (namely as they pertain to Mam, the lady who takes care of Little Man and his family home) stemming from the times, I personally don't think that's what this story is really all about.  I see Paperboy being the story of Little Man's coming into his own, embracing who he is, and being proud of himself for the first time in his life.  As I was reading early on, I was struck by the thought that Little Man was no ordinary 11 year old.  He seems so much wiser and then it hit me.  Little Man doesn't talk much.  Instead, he listens and he observes.  That's where his wisdom comes from--from listening and watching. If only more people would talk less and listen more.  Imagine what the world would be like?

At points when I was reading Paperboy, I had to remind myself that I was reading a kid's book.  It is intended for ages 10 and up but it in no way reads like a typical kids book.  I can see why this was a Newberry Honor book, but what I'd really like to know is why it didn't win?  Maybe I should find and read the winner from that year.  It must've been pretty amazing to have beaten this one.

Happy reading, friends!
-Dodie


1 comment:

  1. I agree that Mr. Spiro was the best part of the story!!! I loved him!

    ReplyDelete