Monday, June 13, 2016

#17: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

An old college friend suggested that I read The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and after doing so it has soared to the top of my all-time favorite books list.  Seriously, it's Wuthering Heights and then The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.  (and then probably the book I am going to blog about next)

I will be honest and admit that when I read the first chapter, I was a bit put off by Fikry.  He was grouchy and seemed rather old (as it turns out he is younger than me!) and I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy reading a book about this man.  I am glad that I kept with the book, because my opinion of A.J. quickly changed.

A.J. is a young widower who runs a bookstore that was the dream of his wife's.  He's now alone in a small island town running a bookstore that is barely making it.  Luckily, he possesses a rare copy of a collection of poems by Edgar Allen Poe, so all is not lost.  He knows that he can sell this book and his life can change.  But, when someone steals his book and his one shot at financial freedom, and a new life, is lost A.J. is thrown into complete despair until one night when someone leaves an unexpected surprise in his store.  From this point on, A.J.'s life will never be the same.

The structure of the book is very clever: each chapter begins with a quick review of sorts of a short story that is particularly meaningful for Fikry.  He is clearly writing these reviews for someone (Maya) but it takes us a long time to learn who Maya is and why he is writing these reviews for her.  The chapter that follows, then, connects Fikry's life to the plot of the short story or the particular idea from the short story that Fikry found relevant to his life.  It's all very clever, really, and it reminds the readers how impactful books and stories can really be upon our lives.

As I read this brilliant story, I felt in a way that Fikry and I would be rather good friends if he were not a character in a book, because he and I share the same feelings about books.  For instance, when Fikry realizes that the publisher's representative that he has worked with for years has passed away and that he knew very little of the man despite that, "he had spent hours with the man over the last half-dozen years.  They had only ever discussed books but what, in this life, is more personal than books?" (pg18)  What is more personal than books?  I can think of very little, to be honest.  I read a lot of books and I get asked by a lot of people what I would recommend to read and I often have a hard time passing along a title because what appeals to me may/may not appeal to others.  What I find compelling could bore other people.  What moved me to tears might make someone else laugh.  Books are personal.

And Fikry, so nice of him, goes on to explain why in a later short story review: "...the things we respond to at twenty are not necessarily the same things we will respond to at forty and vice versa.  This is true in books and also in life." (pg 41)  This is so true!  We read and fall in love with certain books sometimes because they are brilliant works but sometimes because our brain and our hearts are ready for the words and emotions evoked by the words.  I can't tell you how many books I have read in high school and college that I think back on with such fondness, but am terrified to read again knowing that I am in a different place in my life and the book may not have the same impact upon me again.  I have not read many a book because I am terrified of destroying the memory of greatness certain books have inside my head and heart.

I marked one other passage from this amazing book, and not because of it's relevance to books and reading.  I marked it because it's excellent advice to give to my girls:  "Someday, you may think of marrying.  Pick someone who thinks you're the only person in the room."  (pg 159)  A.J. Fikry is a wise man.  I wish his bookstore were real and that I could work there with him.

This book has touched my heart and my mind.  I recommend it to anyone who loves books, who loves the feelings they evoke, and who knows that just because I loved it, it doesn't mean they will and yet they want to read it anyway.

Happy reading, friends!
-Dodie

1 comment:

  1. This is a perfectly written review of a wonderful book. You hit every nail on the head, and I'm so very glad you recommended it to me! I loved it too, and so did my daughter!

    ReplyDelete