Tuesday, May 17, 2016

#13: The Secret Language of Sisters by Luanne Rice

I bought The Secret Language of Sisters at my school's book fair in an attempt to keep up with new children's literature.  Although, I suspect that this particular book falls into the Young Adult category and, as a result, will soon be passed on to my girls for summer reading.  

This book made an impact upon me for a few reasons.  First, the story centers around two sisters who happen to be the exact same ages as my girls.  Second, there's a car accident resulting from texting while driving (my greatest fear).  Third, I had never heard of "locked-in syndrome" and wanted to know more.  

Ruth Ann (Roo) and Mathilda (Tilly) are sisters and best friends.  They really do know each other better than anyone else in the world and are connected in a way that only sisters can be.  When Roo is involved in a tragic car accident, Tilly's world is shattered.  With time and the secret language she and Roo share, she is able to move forward.  

The novel is told in alternating chapters between Roo and Tilly-- a style I particularly enjoy as it gives readers a depth of information we would not get any other way.  Roo's chapters after the accident are hard to read, as she is "locked-in" with a fully functioning brain, thoughts, and feelings; she simply is paralyzed with no means to communicate (how amazingly terrifying this must be). I can honestly say that reading her chapters made me uneasy.  You can feel her fright and panic over her situation.  These chapters are very well written.  Very. 

While this book does not have a traditional happy ending, I think it's realistic in the sense that many tragic accidents can't possibly have a happy ending.  However, the people involved can learn to be happy again.  And Roo and Tilly are able to do just that by the end of the book.  

This is a great read.  It did not read like a child's (teenager's) book yet it was still a quick read.  I needed to know what happened to these girls and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.  If you have daughters, or even teenagers who text (haha--what teenager doesn't text?), this book should be on your reading list.  It serves as a poignant warning to all.  

Happy reading everyone! 
:)Dodie


1 comment:

  1. I can imagine easily the anguish and pain Roo's parents must have felt. Having experiences something similar it'd be hard to read.

    ReplyDelete